Friday, July 30, 2010

Charlie St. Cloud

I have just returned from seeing the new Zac Efron movie, Charlie St. Cloud, and let me tell you: it was amazing!  If you haven't seen the previews for this movie, let me sum it up

Charlie St. Cloud loves sailing.  He's the captain of the sailing team at his high school and even won himself a sailing scholarship to Stanford!  On the evening following his high school graduation, tragedy strikes: the death of his young brother (ladies, prepare to begin the waterworks).  With Charlie grieving his brother's death wondering why he was the one who lived, he defers his scholarship and stops sailing and instead works at the cemetery as a caretaker.  However, Charlie has such a strong bond with his brother that he can see him and they play catch together every day at sunset.  Then, one day five years later, a girl comes along.  They went to high school together and she is as much an avid sailor as he was.  She is about to embark on a six-month solo race around the world.  One day she takes her boat out into a storm to test it.....and doesn't return.  Charlie must now go in search of her to save her life and only he knows where she is...

Zac did a wonderful job in this movie.  Compared to the other movies he is most known for (High School Musical 1-3, Hairspray, and 17 Again), this is a whole new type of role that he plays very well.  I don't know if I'll see it again while it's in theaters, but it's definitely on my 'to buy when it comes out' list.  I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did! 

Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Since writing the above, I have read the book (originally titled The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud) by Ben Sherwood.  The book was just as amazing (if not better just because of the way the story is told) as the movie.  There are, of course, the usual artistic liberties were taken with the movie, but that doesn't mean that I didn't like them (there are some movies where these liberties do not make me happy).

No comments:

Post a Comment